ETA: Although a new campaign has started, you can continue to give to this one and receive cards! See below.
Hi, my name is Colin McGuire. I recently started an initiative to create this website, Give and Keep Giving. I am hoping to spend the next few years doing everything I can to help important organizations. Last year I did a fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and was able to raise $43,000! Please sign up to receive email updates on my efforts.
For March and April of 2023, I will be focusing on helping those who need a kidney transplant. I was inspired to do this after hearing my mom talk about her crafting friend, Andy Granick, who is in desperate need of a kidney. He is currently having to undergo dialysis three times a week and needs a kidney to save his life. My hope is that I can help him AND raise awareness for the other 100,000 people in our country waiting for a lifesaving kidney. (I will tell you more about Andy in the future!)
The waiting list for getting a kidney transplant from a deceased donor is typically 3-5 years but can be up to 10 years. Many people can’t wait that long. But here’s the thing – we all are born with TWO kidneys, and only need ONE. Donating a kidney to someone in need is giving the gift of life! And no worries – the recipient’s insurance covers the cost.
So what can we do together?
I have FOUR ways that I am hoping you can join me in this effort to help:
- You can donate to Off The List… a wonderful non-profit that supports individuals on the kidney transplant list and helps them find living donors.
- You can donate to Andy’s Help Hope Live. This site is a non-profit that collects funds to help Andy with expenses associated with transplantation. (Goal: $10,000 – Goal has been reached!)
- You can help pass out brochures about Andy’s need. I would mail you a pack of brochures that you could pass out in your community to get the word out about being a living kidney donor. You can distribute these at your place of work, church, etc. This is a great way to help without any financial responsibility. (Please be honest about your willingness to pass these out. These are funded by my family and we want to make the biggest impact we can with them! Brochures are limited.)
- And of course, I would LOVE if YOU considered being a living donor. You can find out more on how to do this HERE or Andy’s Facebook Group or call the transplant center Andy is registered with at 800-275-6401.
Since my mom has many great crafting friends, she said we could give gifts to some crafters:
- Anyone who gives ANY amount to Off The List or Andy’s Help Hope Live (options 1 and 2) will be entered into a raffle to win handmade cards from my mom, crafty stickers, and huge boxes of stamps and dies! Some folks will even get a card made by Andy himself!
- Anyone who donates $100+ to Get Off The List or Andy’s Help Hope Live (options 1 and 2) will get a handmade card made by my mom. I will be packing and sending these after the fundraiser closes.
- Anyone who commits to pass out 50+ brochures (option 3) will get a handmade card made by my mom.
If you are interested, you must do the following:
- Make a donation to either Get Off The List or Andy’s Help Hope Live.
- Take a screen shot of your donation including the amount (if over $100).
- Email the screen shot to [email protected] along with your name and address. (This is the only way we can know you donated. If you would prefer, you can forward your donation email receipt.)
- If you are interested in passing out brochures, please email us with the number of brochures you would like (minimum of 50) and your address.
- (Please be patient as it takes time for my mom to make the cards and for me to send them.)
You will hear back from me to let you know we have received your email and entered you into the raffles. Please be patient as I have school, baseball, and Young Life, too. After May 15, I will contact the winners from the raffle!
If you are a small business and would like to be involved, please reach out to me!
This campaign ends on May 15, 2023.
Please keep an eye on this website as I will be sharing videos from folks who are in need of a kidney, others who have donated, and a few who have been saved.
Thank you so much. I know there are many horrific things happening in this world right now. Sending up prayers for all.
Colin, age 17.